I’m sure I’m not the only one that likes to indulge in all sorts of delicious food and drink at Christmas. But while these festive treats are often an important part of the holiday season for us humans, this isn’t a tradition that we should share with our pets. In fact, a lot of our festive favourites can actually be dangerous for animals, so please be especially careful about what you feed your pet this Christmas.
6 festive foods your pet should avoid:
- Leftover turkey: Cooked meat scraps can contain small bones that can easily splinter, potentially injuring your pet. Fat trimmings should also be avoided as consuming excess fat can cause a painful condition called pancreatitis.
- Chocolate: This is incredibly toxic for pets and can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, or even damage to your pet’s heart and nervous system.
- Alcohol: Keep alcohol-filled chocolates out of the reach of pets, and don’t leave alcoholic drinks unattended. Alcohol can lead to poor coordination, difficulty breathing and, in the worst cases, even death.
- Sweets and sugary foods: Too much sugar can lead to dental problems, obesity and diabetes in animals, as well as in humans. Even sugar-free treats need to be avoided as these often contain xylitol, a sugar-substitute that is extremely toxic for pets.
- Nuts and dried fruit: Raisins contain a poisonous toxin that can result in serious liver damage and kidney failure in pets, while macadamia nuts can cause damage to the digestive and nervous systems, as well as to your pet’s muscles. Dates, walnuts and other similar foods can also be dangerous for pets.
- Christmas cake: This sugary seasonal treat contains a high concentration of dried fruits and nuts, so it should definitely be avoided.
This is just a selection of the foods that can be unsafe for animals, so if you want to treat your pet during the festive season it’s always best to stick to species-appropriate snacks and chews. Or why not offer them some special Christmas-edition wet pet food, available at the zooplus Christmas Market?
And whatever the time of year, always remember that if you are worried about something your pet has consumed, you should contact your vet immediately.